When you try to download and install McAfee LiveSafe, Total Protection, or one of our other Windows security products, the installation fails with the following error message : Installation Incomplete
Follow the steps in Solution 1 to resolve this issue. If you still have a problem after completing these steps, try the steps in Solution 2.
Before you start:
You might need to restart your PC to solve the issue, so bookmark or favorite this article to get back to it quickly.
You should also :
- Save and close all open files and applications.
- Restart your computer.
- Ensure that you have a network connection. A wired connection is preferred.
- Connect to a power supply if you are using a laptop.
- Does your PC meet the minimum system requirements?
TS102471 – Minimum system requirements for McAfee Security Suites for Windows and Mac
- Are any incompatible third-party firewalls or security software installed?
For the list of applications and how to remove them, see TS102253
- Is Windows up-to-date on your PC?
To check for and install updates, see the Windows update FAQ on the Microsoft website.
Follow these steps in order. When you have completed each step, try to install your McAfee product again. If the installation fails again, continue to the next step.
Step 1: Run the Pre-Install tool
The Pre-Install tool prepares your PC for installation.
1. Download the Pre-Install Tool.
NOTE : Save the file to a temporary location, such as your desktop.
2. Double-click the Pre-Install_Tool.exe file, and follow the prompts.
3. Read the warning message, and click OK to agree to the changes.
4. After the Preinstall Tool completes:
a) Click OK.
b) Click Close.
c) Restart your computer.
Try the installation again. If installation fails, continue to Step 2
Step 2 : Temporarily enable the Administrator account
The installation might fail because the Windows account that you log on with lacks permissions. Follow these steps to temporarily enable the built-in Administrator account, then log on and try the installation with that account:
1. Open a command prompt as Administrator :
a) Click Start, and in the search box type cmd.exe.
b) In the search results, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
2. At the prompt, type the following command and press ENTER :
net user administrator /active:yes
3. Close the command prompt.
4. Press the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys together.
5. Click Log out or Sign out, to log off from of Windows.
6. On the logon screen, click the Administrator account and log on. The logon process might take longer than usual to complete.
Try the installation again, following the steps in TS100342. If installation fails, continue to Step 3.
Step 3 : Download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)
MCPR removes your existing McAfee product and ‘leftover’ files from previous installations that might cause installation problems.
- Always download a new copy of MCPR before each use.
This ensures that you have the latest version, and that newer McAfee products can be successfully recognized.
- MCPR cleans up only the components needed for reinstallation. It is not designed to clean up 100% of components.
- Completing this step requires a restart.
Before you start:
- Bookmark or favorite this article so that you can easily get back to it.
- Save all open files.
- Close all programs.
1. Download the MCPR tool.
2. Double-click MCPR.exe.
3. If you see a security warning:
Click Yes, Continue, or Run (depending on your version of Windows) :
4. At the McAfee Software Removal screen:
- Click Next.
- Click Agree to accept the End User License Agreement (EULA).
5. At the Security Validation screen:
- Type the characters exactly as shown on your screen. Validation is case-sensitive.
- Click Next. This step prevents the accidental use of MCPR.
6. When the process is complete, you see one of the following messages. Click the one that you see.
If you see this message, the MCPR tool has completed successfully.
1. Restart your PC to complete the removal process.
If you see this message, the cleanup did not go as planned:
- Restart your PC and run MCPR again.
- If you see Cleanup Unsuccessful again, ignore it.
- Restart your PC again.
- Attempt to reinstall your McAfee software.
If you are still unable to install :
1. Click here to contact Technical Support.
2. Let the agent know:
a) MCPR produced a Cleanup Unsuccessful message.
b) You are unable to reinstall your McAfee software.
SOURCE : https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_05484ea932c6/Page29.jspx?showFooter=false&locale=en-US&articleId=TS102268&leftWidth=0%25&showHeader=false&wc.contextURL=%2Fspaces%2Fcp&rightWidth=0%25¢erWidth=100%25&_adf.ctrl-state=5qyuo2sf3_75&_afrLoop=2783640802945073#!